ID Theft & Fraud Protection
Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information without your knowledge and uses it to commit fraud and other crimes. The effect of identity theft can be devastating and may cost thousands of dollars and a tremedous amount of time to straighten out your credit record and name. Millions of people have been victims of Identity Theft, don't let yourself be one!
Important Safety Tips for Scam Alerts:
Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN):
- Never write down your Personal Identification Number (PIN). It is best to memorize it to keep the information secure.
- Do not disclose your PIN to anyone. No one from any financial institution, the police, or a merchant should ever ask for your PIN. Please Note: Loudoun Credit Union will never contact you asking for your PIN number under any circumstance.
- Beware of phishing emails that appear to be from Loudoun Credit Union. Please do not reply to these emails or click on any links that may be attached. VISA, your credit union, or any other legitimate online merchant will never ask for your PIN or other personal financial information via email.
- Please be discreet while entering your PIN at an ATM machine. Be aware of those around you and shield your information by placing your hand or body in front of the keypad.
Protect your account by continually monitoring your monthly financial account statements, and periodically checking your consumer credit report. You may access a free copy of your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.
Identity Theft Shield is a new offering from Loudoun Credit Union. When you enroll in Identity Theft Shield, you will receive the following:
- Credit Report, Score and Analysis
- Continual Credit Monitoring
- Restoration by Licensed Investigators
Protecting your money and your piece of mind.
At Loudoun Credit Union safeguarding your account is an important part of our business. We are proud to provide unparalleled card security as part of your credit union membership.
No matter how careful you are with your financial records, criminals still find ways to access your card information to make unauthorized purchases. To combat this threat, we use the leading fraud protection service to monitor your accounts and detect suspicious activity.
How it works:
The service has information about fraud that has occurred for other cardholders
The service learns your normal spending patterns
Based on a combination of this information, the service evaluates your transaction If the transaction is considered risky, a fraud specialist will contact you to verify if you authorized the transaction
If you confirm the transaction is legitimate, there is no impact
If you confirm that you did not authorize the transaction, that card is immediately blocked to stop more fraud from occurring
If the fraud specialist cannot reach you, a message will be left and your card may be temporarily blocked until you return the call
How you can help:
Protect your card and card information
Regularly monitor your statements for any activity that is not yours
If you are contacted by a fraud specialist, please return the call as soon as possible at 888-241-2440. If the fraud specialist calls you, you will not be asked for any personal information. However, when you call the fraud call center back, you will be asked to verify your identity
Make certain the phone number you have on file with LCU is current so you can be easily contacted if any questionable activity is detected on your account